Mac OS ForgeApple had a software forge to host Free Software they used in Mac OS X. The site is https://www.macosforge.org/ and now indicates:
macOS forge hosted open source projects closely related to macOS.
One of the hosted project is:
Smart Card Services
The Smart Card Services project is comprised of several components which, when combined, provide the necessary abstraction layer and integration of smart cards into Apple’s CDSA implementation.
Smart Card Services contains different parts:
- SmartCardServices: contains Apple version of pcsc-lite. See "Differences between Apple pcsc-lite and the "official" pcsc-lite"
- Tokend: BELPIC, CAC, PIV, PKCS11 tokend
- TokendPKCS11: PKCS#11 library above tokend
- SmartcardCCID: CCID driver
Alive projects?From the list above most of the projects are now dead.
- Since Yosemite, pcsc-lite is no more used and has been replaced in 2014 by Crypto Token Kit.
See "OS X Yosemite BETA and smart cards status"
- tokend architecture is deprecated since Lion in 2011
See "Mac OS X Lion and tokend"
- CCID driver is no more updated to reflect what is installed in current macOS versions.
El Capitan provides the version 1.4.21 but the site still provides version 1.3.8.